Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

Phil's Back

I'm still putting my hands around the recent acquisition of Phil Jackson as the Lakers head coach. On the one hand, anything, and I mean absolutely anything, is better than the public relations-coaching strategy nightmare that was Frank Hamblen. And Phil has his ties to the organization, he has the basketball knowledge, he has the star power, and he can handle the Lakers pressure unique to being a member of that organization.

I think the only thing that stops me from being considerably happier (note, I am happy about this, but I could be happier) is the way in which Phil departed last year. Would he have released his book (I have read his book and though there are remarks about Kobe, Phil has remarks about many folks including coaches, refs, and other Lakers players, none of which is easy to argue against) had we renewed his contract? The book seemed like a well intended kick (not just at us, but primarily us) while we were down after losing the NBA finals (on this exact date 1 year ago). And if it was, then we have some things that I hoped have been ironed out: 1) What spurred the need for such a well timed and well-intended kick? and 2) Have those issues been fixed/remediated?

I think I will have a more concrete stand on Phil's return after I see what he does with our personnel in the upcoming draft and remainder of the off season.....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

esbn 26538-060309-182518-97

The Sidebar!